Friday, October 3, 2008

Three Days and Counting

Our living room is a mess. Three suitcases are splayed out across the floor with numerous mounds all over the floor and furniture. It looks like a Mormon family vacation just threw up in our living room. Clothes and toys and gifts and all things baby. A pile of stuff we’re not going to take. A pile of stuff we may take, if a pack mule is allowed on international flights. An octogenarian’s worth of pills to ameliorate a wee fraction of Bangladesh’s deadly diseases. One suitcase--the gigantic one--full of nothing more than gifts. Stuff you can't get in Bangladesh like Pop Rocks and bright orange customized Nike soccer cleats. One medium suitcase for the Kamran and Kalil’s stuff, nearly half-full of formula (I would like to send a giant shout out to the Chinese government for their latest practical joke. Europeans took over the world with gunpower and syphilis, you will do it with mercury and melamine). The last suitcase falls to Tania, Maya, and me: a mere three changes of clothes for two months.

Tania has done the vast majority of organization, but still I am exhausted. Every day has been a crazed rush to put things in place at work and do a few things of value here at home. I have succeeded in parts, failed in others. The only thing I have slowed down for is Maya. I’m very excited about the boys, but I will miss the one on one time with her. I gave her the thumbs up yesterday; she gave me the thumbs up back, touched her thumb to mine and said “team.” Let’s hope this attitude holds.

Time to relax. Three days until our flight. Next post, I hope, will be on what meds we’ll be taking while in Bangladesh and how they may or may not keep our colons from exploding. We will be taking so much Peptobismal, that we will all turn pink and smell forever of minty freshness.

No comments: